The University of Michigan is a research university in Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States. The university, which was founded in 1817, exactly 20 years before the Michigan Territory became a state was referred to as the Catholepistemaid or University of Michigania. However, in 1812, the name was changed to University of Michigan.
The University moved to a 40 acres property then known as Central Campus in the year 1837. As at today, the university boast over 540 major buildings covering more than 34 million gross square feet. The school campuses include the Central Campus, the North Campus, a center in Detroit and two other regional campuses located in Flint and Dearborn.
Read also: University Of Cape Town, South Africa
The University of Michigan is currently ranked 21st in the world according to the QS World University Rankings 2021. The University stands out among other Universities because of the high level of research carried out in the school. It is often referred to and classified by the Carnegie Foundation as a Doctoral University for its High research.
The University of Michigan offers four-year full-time undergraduate degrees which cuts across all major field of education with emphasis on sciences, arts and other professions with a significantly high level of coexistence between the graduate and the undergraduate programs.
The school has built a comprehensive graduate program over the years with doctoral degrees in social sciences, humanities, Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. In addition, the University also offers professional degrees in fields such as nursing, architecture, business, medicine, pharmacy, law, dentistry and public health.
With more than 200 undergraduate degrees, 90 masters’ and 100 doctoral programs, the University of Michigan in the 2011-2012 academic session alone was able to confer 6,490 undergraduates, 4,951 graduates and 709 professional degrees. With over 540,000 living alumni, the University of Michigan also has one of the largest bases of alumni by any university in the world.
Tuition fee at the University of Michigan varies based on whether the student is from Michigan (In-state students) or not (Out-state students). Students who are not from Michigan state who are looking to study at the University of Michigan usually pay annual tuition fees that may range from $36,001 and $48,063 while students from Michigan state pay between $11,387 and $16,363 tuition fees annually, depending on their course and level of study.
For a student to be considered for admission into the undergraduate program of the school, the following criteria must be met:
- A completed Common Application or Coalition Application with $75 application fee payment (It should be noted that the two application options will include specific questions, and one does not have an advantage over the other).
- High School transcript
- School Report or Counsellor Recommendation
- One Teacher Evaluation (Academic teacher)
- SAT with writing or ACT with writing test scores.
- TOEFL, MELAB, or IELTS scores (for non-native speakers of English) below are the acceptable ranges:
- MELAB (plus speaking): 85 range with section scores of 80+ and 3+ in speaking
- TOEFL (PBT): 600 range with sections scores 57+
- TOEFL (iBT) 100 range with section scores 23+ in listening and reading and 21+ in speaking and writing
- IELTS: 7.0 range with section scores 6.5+
- Official college transcript
All of these documents must reach the admissions department by Nov 1 in other for such applications to be processed for the next academic session.
- Applicants applying for a graduate program at the University of Michigan must have completed a bachelor’s degree from a U.S university or college that is accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting association; or must have completed an international degree which is equivalent to a U.S bachelor’s degree from a university or college that is recognized and approved by the Ministry of Education or any commission that is responsible for higher education in that country.
- If the native language of the applicant is not English, the applicant will need to demonstrate proficiency in English by providing an official score report of the proficiency test taken. The school will not accept photocopies and/or faxes of test scores.
- Applicants are also advised to contact the help desk of their respective intended programs for further information as different programs may have specific criteria.
Read also: University of Calgary, Canada
The University of Michigan has a dormitory structure that can accommodate about 10, 000 students which accounts for almost 25 percent of the total population of students at the University. These halls of residence are located in three strategic parts of the campus namely Central Campus, Hill Area and the North Campus. The North Campus consist of Family Housing structures which are mainly reserved for the graduate students.
Most of all first year students prefer to live in the residence halls. However, whether you choose to live on campus or off-campus, living in Michigan will present you with the most exciting and memorable times of your life.
COST OF LIVING IN MICHIGAN.
It is relatively cheaper to live in Michigan than in London as latest statistic shows that living in Michigan is 43% cheaper than living in London. Below is the cost of living a student preparing to study in Michigan should take note.
A basic lunchtime menu plus a drink in the business district $11
A combo food in a fast food restaurant $6
500 gr of boneless chicken breast $3.16
1 litre of whole fat milk $0.78
12 large eggs $2.33
1 kg of tomatoes $3.68
500 gr of local cheese $8
1 kg of apples $1.18
1 kg of potatoes $1.18
1 bottle of good quality red table wine $14
2 litres of Coca-Cola $1.82
Bread for 2 people for 1 day $1.56
Monthly rent for 85 m2 (900 Sqft) well-furnished accommodation $1,339 in an expensive environment
Monthly rent for 85m2 (900 Sqft) furnished apartment in a $972 normal environment
Monthly rent for a 45m2 furnished studio in an expensive environment $895
Monthly rent for a 45m2 furnished studio in a normal environment $530
Utilities 1 month for 2 people in 85m2 flat $215
Utilities 1 month for 1 person in 45 m2 studio $117
Internet 8Mbps for 1 month $37
40’’ flat screen TV $266
1 pair of jeans $36
1 summer cloth in a High Street Store $36
1 pair of sport shoes $79
1 pair of men’s leather shoe $74
Monthly ticket for public transport $45
Taxi on a business day basic tariff $15
Being one of the most respected universities in the United States and the world at large for its unrivaled excellence in research that cuts across various fields, the University of Michigan is surely a choice destination for students who value excellence and who are seeking for a world class education that will prepare them adequately for the real world.