Do you want to study in Sweden but don’t know how to go about it? Today’s article will focus on study in Sweden, tuition fees, cost of living, admission requirements etc. Sweden is a country with minimal population which boasts of several mountains, lakes, as well as long shorelines and forests. Its surface area could be compared with that of California, or Spain. As a peaceful country, Sweden has not had a taste of war for centuries. In fact, since 1814, the country has had no cause to roll out the drums of war.
The Scandinavian country has some popular cities such as Gothenburg, Malmo and Stockhlom which are all coastal.
Read also: Monash University, Australia
Why choose Sweden as your place of study?
For students seeking quality education, Sweden is a great place to succeed. Why you may ask?
One major characteristic of people who study in Sweden is their ability to engage in critical and creative thinking. The Swedish educational system and its informal nature assist you to think out of the box, independently and come up with robust ideas. Also, each person is encouraged to air their views and make their opinions known.
Perhaps because of its little population, the level of intellectual excellence in Sweden is superb. This fact is attested to by the presence of some of the best universities in the world in Sweden. Interestingly, some of the country’s universities are adjudged best among others by the Academic Ranking of World Universities and Times Higher Education, even as Sweden’s higher educational system is positioned as one of the best in the world.
Ranking of Some Universities in Sweden
Going by all that have been discussed above, about the educational system in Sweden, it is not surprising that some of its universities occupy top positions according to the ranking of world universities. Below are the rankings of some universities in Sweden:
This is a prominent university and one of the oldest in the whole of Northern Europe. Lund, which is open to international student and exchange program is currently ranked 78th in world ranking of universities.
KTH Royal Institute of Technology
This polytechnic university situated at Stockholm is reputed as one of the best in Europe. Apart from being the oldest and biggest of its kind, KTH technology and engineering subjects have again and again being positioned among the best 40. It is currently ranked 98th in the world ranking of universities.
For maintaining a good and extended history of impressive education, Uppsala University belongs to the Coimbra Group. This is a group known for bringing together old institutions with high standards internationally. Uppsala currently ranks 112th in the QS World University Rankings 2020.
Chalmers University of Technology
In this institution situated at Gothenburg, all its postgraduate Masters programmes have English Language as their medium of instruction. This makes it a good destination for international student. Chalmers’ technology and engineering subjects are among the best 100 in the world while the university ranks 133rd in World University Rankings.
Read also: Study in Sweden Programs
Ranked joint as 195th in the world, Stockholm has four faculties where over seventy thousand students are being educated. Also, its humanities and arts programs are ranked among the best 100 in the world.
Sweden also boasts of other universities with good rankings among world universities. Some of them are: Umea University which ranks 338th; Linkoping University which ranks 287th joint; and University of Gothenburg which ranks 283rd.
How to apply
Sweden’s educational system is well coordinated and easy to access. www.universityadmissions.se is the central application portal where applicants can make their intents known by submitting one application with which they can be considered for four academic programmes in various universities.
As a potential student, make up your mind on the most appropriate institution for you, and check the entry requirements for each course on the website. You may also contact the student union in the institution. When you do this, you will be properly guided through germane issues, especially accommodation for international students.
The deadline for fall admission happens the prior January.
Note that the deadline for your application for Fall admissions is the January before. Your application should have all these:
- The online application form which you accessed through the website
- Evidence of Proficiency in English
- Evidence that you have required entry qualification for the program.
- Evidence of general eligibility
Other Important Information
Please take note of the following:
- Alongside your application, you will be expected to pay a fee of SEK 900 if you are not a citizen of Switzerland, EEA or European Union.
- At the expiration of the application time limit, each university will scrutinize and consider your application vis-à-vis other established criteria such as points and grades obtained in earlier courses and project work.
- The academic institutions reserve the exclusive right to accept or reject an application.
- You will be notified of your admission result on the website as and when due.
- If you are offered an admission, you will be expected to validate your acceptance by responding in the affirmative to the notification.
When to apply undergraduate and graduate application
- Please note that if you are submitting an application for programs which will commence in August, autumn, the deadline is middle of January.
- If you would be submitting an application for programs which will commence in mid-January, spring semester, the deadline is middle of August.
- It is important to confirm the appropriate deadline ahead of time.
International Students please note
- The Swedish educational structure is friendly to international students and that is why the country is ranked in the world top three positions for proficiency in English.
- Be sure that you can communicate in English language anywhere you are in Swedish institutions.
- Non EU and EEA students will be required to apply for a permit (residence) if you would stay beyond three months for your study in Sweden.
- The application process could take a while; therefore you are advised to commence application process immediately you are notified of your admission.
- When you arrive Sweden, you would be expected to visit and register at the board in charge of migration within three months. Your proof of enrollment and access to enough funds to sustain you during your stay will be required.
- Should your program last for more than a year, you would be required to register at the tax office in your local area. For this, you need a passport, letter of acceptance from your institution of study and official documents from Sweden’s Immigration authorities.
- As soon as you complete your registration, your access to health care is guaranteed. You will access it through the Swedish National Health Insurance System.
With a superb educational system, friendly environment and all that Sweden has to offer you, be sure of an exciting time as the best education awaits you if you will make the choice of studying in Sweden. If you are planning to study in Sweden, we advise that you contact the universities over there and start your admission application. There are lots of benefits associated with study in Sweden!
Hope you enjoyed reading our article on study in Sweden. Kindly help us share so others can also learn